Rockets agree to acquire Clippers' Paul

(Photo by Sean M. Haffey/Getty Images)

HOUSTON (AP) Chris Paul is heading to Houston to join James Harden, and the Rockets will soon have two All-Stars in the backcourt to lead their chase for a championship.

The Rockets have reached an agreement to acquire Paul from the Clippers in exchange for Patrick Beverley, Lou Williams, Sam Dekker and a protected first-round pick next year, a person familiar with the deal told The Associated Press on Wednesday. The pick is only protected if Houston's pick lands in the first three of the 2018 draft, according to the person who spoke on the condition of anonymity because the teams haven't finalized the trade with free agency coming up on Saturday.

The 32-year-old Paul opted in for the last year of his contract so the Clippers could work on a deal.

Knicks, Jackson split after 3 ugly years

NEW YORK (AP) Phil Jackson wanted to trade Carmelo Anthony and wouldn't rule out dealing Kristaps Porzingis.

Turns out, Jackson is the one leaving. (MORE)

Cubs DFA Montero after blasting Arrieta

WASHINGTON (AP) Catcher Miguel Montero says the Chicago Cubs are letting him go, one day after he blamed pitcher Jake Arrieta for allowing seven stolen bases in a game.

Montero posted a series of tweets Wednesday saying goodbye to fans and the city of Chicago and said on WMVP-AM radio that the Cubs had called to tell him they were designating him for assignment. The team had not announced any moves by early afternoon. (MORE)

Murray, Kerber earn top Wimbledon seeds

LONDON (AP) The "Big 4" of men's tennis were given the four highest seedings for this year's tournament at Wimbledon.

No. 1-ranked Andy Murray, the defending champion, is the top-seeded player, followed by Novak Djokovic, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. (MORE)

6 charged in 1989 Hillsborough disaster

LONDON (AP) Prosecutors charged a former senior police commander with manslaughter on Wednesday in the 1989 Hillsborough stadium disaster that left 96 people dead - long-awaited vindication for the families of the victims after authorities spent years blaming fans for the catastrophe.

The charges announced against former Chief Superintendent David Duckenfield and five others were met with applause from victims' relatives who had waged a decades-long quest for justice for their loved ones after the deaths were ruled accidental - a decision that was overturned in 2012 after a wide-ranging inquiry found a cover-up by police. (MORE)

 Raptors make Webster NBA's youngest GM

 Trump welcomes some Cubs to White House

 Giants closer Melancon goes back on DL

 Warriors' Curry to play in Web.com event

 M's lose LHP Smyly to Tommy John surgery